“Selma was platted about 1851 being first named Independent through it was popularly called Stumptown for George Stump who laid it out on land he had accepted as payment for his services as a government surveyor. He kept the first store and was the first postmaster.The post office was established in 1858 when the town was named Hickory. It is uncertain when the name Selma came into usage.
The village site on the Des Moines River was purchased from the Indians in 1837 and platted the same year. Black Hawk died at Iowaville in 1838 and was buried on the James Jordan farm, two miles west of Selma.“