Fort Henry Club (Wheeling, West Virginia)
ADDRESS: 1324 Chapline St, Wheeling, WV 26003
COORDINATES: 40.065992, -80.720775
Still in remarkably good shape, the Fort Henry Club was first built in the 1850s as the Howell Mansion. By the year 1890, the mansion was turned into a club for the wealthy of West Virginia to gather and socialize in. Some of the club’s famous guests have included Jimmy Stewart, President Herbert Hoover, Charles Lindbergh, Babe Ruth, and Walter Pidgeon.
Membership slowly declined, however, and by the year 2011, the building was completely abandoned. The building is owned by people who plan to restore it, however, no efforts have been made.