Abandoned Ferry (Carthage, Tennessee)
ADDRESS: 746 Lebanon Hwy, Carthage, TN 37030
COORDINATES: 36.2631315, -86.069914
The ferry and the nearby landings are listed on the National Register Historic Places. The original ferry landing was established at this point, running from the mouth of Roundlick Creek to Beasley’s Bend on the north side. It was established in the 1840’s by Major A Beasley.
In May 1862, Confederate General John Hunt Morgan and his cavalry used the ferry to escape from Union troops that had arrived in nearby Lebanon, Tennessee.
During World War II, the landings were used by General George S Patton to build a pontoon crossing for military maneuvers.
The ferry was stopped running in 1992, and the boat has since sat rusting.