St. Petersburg’s YMCA Building (St. Petersburg, Florida)
ADDRESS: 116 5th Street S St Petersburg, Florida 33704
COORDINATES: 27.769717, -82.639984
The St. Petersburg Chapter of the YMCA (Young Men’s Christian Association) was constructed in 1927 with the help of $550,000 of community donations. The building was designed by University of Minnesota Professor Clarence Brown and local architect Archie G. Parish.
The YMCA offered facilities for boxing, wrestling, wrestling, and baseball. A cafeteria and pool were located in the basement. The gym and suspended jogging track were on the 1st floor, above the pool area. Offices and public rooms were located on the 1st and 2nd floors and 54 dormitory rooms provided affordable lodging on the 3rd and 4th floors.
The residential program ceased operations in 1989 and the entire club was relocated to a new facility in 2001.
**There have been numerous reports of homeless individuals breaking into the building and leaving harmful materials such as human waste. Be cautious when exploring.**