Gandini’s Circus (Edmond, Oklahoma)
ADDRESS: N Kelly Avenue between Swan Lake Road and Pruett Drive
Edmond, Oklahoma, 73003
**When trying to find Gandini’s Circus, travel down N Kelly Avenue until you get to the stretch of land between Swan Lake Road and Pruett Drive. Once there, you will see a dirt road (usually blocked off by a yellow fence). Travel up that road and you will be brought to a large field where the Circus lies.**
COORDINATES: 35.659355, -97.497530
There is little known about this circus. Gandini’s Circus took place some time in between the 1900′s and the 1930′s and traveled across parts of the United States. There were animals (cougars, lions, tigers) and performers such as acrobats, clowns, and the “freakshow”. Although many of the trailers are burnt from the inside out by either arson or a terrible accident, you can still find fliers, popcorn bags and soda cups along with assorted pieces of memorabilia throughout the area.
Gandini’s Circus closed down due to the Great Depression, but the remaining assets were bought by a man named Howard Suesz in 1943 and used them to start the Clyde Bros. Circus, an indoor circus that performed in stadiums and arenas. Both Clyde Bros. and Hagen Bros. used the property in Edmond as a winter camp; although it is unclear whether Gandini’s ever did the same, it was the name of the original circus that stuck.
Stage Center or Mummers Theater (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)
ADDRESS: 400 W Sheridan Ave, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, OK 73102
Stage Center, originally known as Mummers Theater, was designed by John Johansen, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright and a member of the legendary “Harvard Five” (which also included Marcel Breuer, Landis Gores, Philip Johnson and Eliot Noyes). He was hired not by the Mummers Theater, which was to be the tenant of the Oklahoma City venue, but by the Ford Foundation, which agreed to provide a $2 million grant for a modern downtown home for what was then a 22-year-old theater company.
The theater opened in 1970 to international acclaim for the design, but inadequate funding for operations and a less than enthusiastic response by locals led to the demise of Mummers just a year after the theater opened. The building has had a series of tenants since, was closed in the late 1990s, and closed again for good after it was flooded in 2010.
**Since its final abandonment, this building has sadly been demolished.**
Perfect Swing Family Fun Center (Norman, Oklahoma)
ADDRESS: 2159 Ann Branden Blvd, Norman, OK 73071
COORDINATES: 35.185668, -97.413106
The Perfect Swing Family Fun Center was closed in 2010 due to Tornado damage to the area. This site featured rotating swings, a mini golf course, go kart tracks, an arcade, and climbing area.
Ghost Town of Burbank, Oklahoma (Burbank, Oklahoma)
ADDRESS: 47065 US-60, Burbank, OK 74633
COORDINATES: 36.691831, -96.731522
Burbank, Oklahoma, is a ghost town situated just above U.S. Highway 60 and a little ways west Osage County. Burbank was established in 1903 and was named for a cocklebur-covered area along nearby Salt Creek. The town is complete with a post office, jail, houses, a school, and a church.
Hissom Memorial Center (Sand Springs, Oklahoma)
ADDRESS: 13701 OK-51, Sand Springs, OK 74063
COORDINATES: 36.130561, -96.146121
The Hissom Memorial Center served as an institution for children diagnosed with mental disabilities requiring institutionalization. The center was built in the 1950s, but a lawsuit was filed against Hissom in the 1980s which led to its abandonment.
Many people claim that the center is haunted, due to the fact some of the children died while in the care of the workers.
The Ghost Town of Slick, Oklahoma (Bristow, Oklahoma)
ADDRESS: 23100 OK-16, Bristow, OK 74010
COORDINATES: 35.780315, -96.269943
The town of Slick, Oklahoma, was founded in 1920 and was named after Tom B. Slick, known as the discoverer of the Cushing Oil Field in 1919. Slick was a “get rich quick” town, people would come from all over to make their fortune finding oil. Within three months of the discovery, the town had gone from zero to a population of over five thousand. The boom was short-lived and by 1930 the railroad was abandoned and the population had fallen to less than 500 people. By 1940 the town was abandoned.
The town has a library, schools, houses, etc. to explore. Be careful during the summer months, it tends to be very hot.